[Incubator] Oskari Incubation status

Arnulf Christl (Metaspatial) arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Fri Jul 27 02:56:35 PDT 2018

Cameron,

thanks for the pointer to the new / old/ checklist link.

All,

the Incubation process and Checklists are not in a good state right now.
There also have been changes during the migration from the old web site
to the new website. For example the topic of requiring Open Source /
Free Software licenses is much less prominent than on the old linked
version Cameron provided and the even older Incubation Status pages
Oskari had started on. I am pretty sure that these changes have not been
discussed on the Incubation lists?! The official document on the web
(https://www.osgeo.org/resources/project-graduation-checklist/) points
to a PDF file. Why on earth would we want this to be a file and not
plain HTML?! Incubation is core and heart to OSGeo and the content is
not readily available on the web?

No dramatic thing but we may want to go through the whole process on
this list again, flesh out old docs and so on. Happy to help out on this
around October / November when my schedule relaxes a bit. If anybody is
eager to push this forward before then please go ahead.

Over the coming days we will move the Oskari Incubation status page
content to the version provided by Cameron and then ask the Incubation
committee to comment and eventually come to a decision whether we can
recommend Oskari for graduation.

It is somewhat hard to find things on the OSGeo Web in general because
many links from the Wiki to the new website are broken. This causes
quite a disconnect. When trying to fix some of the links I also noticed
difference in content and language which we may have to fix with a lot
of manual editing so that Wiki and website are in sync again. Would be
great to see this coordinated by the web site committee - but that
channel is dead since December 2017 which is unfortunate because we now
have a nice web site but little editing going on - but this is a another
topic.

Have fun,
Arnulf