[Incubator] istSOS incubation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue May 28 12:53:23 PDT 2019

I am taking this into a separate thread, thanks everyone for communicating
across all the delays.

For the specific topic on open community and communication, it is my hope
you already meet this requirement but to answer I would need ask how the
project functions. My personal request is you write down how the
communication works now, and do not set a goal as it may not be needed.

You can take inspiration from other projects that completed gradation
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Graduated> and how they
filled in this section.

*open communication*: The key is "public" communication, but can be a
shared chat channel, or active stack exchange (email was common when open
source started but is less common now). There are reasons to have private
communication channels (GeoServer has a private security email list but we
do document that it exists and committers can be included if they are in a
position to help fix vulnerabilities). For a quick check I look at the repo
README.

*open community:* Another aspect is that people can join the project and
join the project leadership.We want to avoid the "single dictator" model as
that is brittle. For a quick check I look at a repo CONTRIBTING.md.

The checklist should be in a place where your team collaborates (a place
they all have permission to edit):
- If you use GitHub there is a markdown copy here
<https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/incubation/documents> to take
into your wiki
- If you use OSGeo wiki copy one of the other examples
- If you use your own wiki or something that is also fine

When you and your mentor are happy the mentor will nominate the project and
share the checklist. You are also welcome to share as you write and ask
questions about difficult sections.

And I do not want the incubation sprint planning to get lost in this
discussion, when you have a date Maxi there are several options for funding.

Dear Jody and Incubator-list,