[Incubator] motion: Accept rasdaman into the OSGeo Community program

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:44:44 PDT 2019

I can answer that, the "osgeo community" program was set up in part based
on the experience of rasderman (an excellent open source project that has a
different governance model than we require for our osgeo projects (in part
because osgeo projects are setup as a committee and need to be governed as
such).

The second factor going into "osgeo community" was a direction from Venka
that we should have some place for "smaller" and "innovative" projects
(both of which are not a good fit to operate as an osgeo committee). Our
graduation requirements are all about stability and addressing risk and
provide a stable/trusted experience for users. As an example a project such
as pygeoapi is in an innovation phase, rapidly changing as it experiments
with ideas for the ogcapi specifications as they are being developed.
Stability would be a liability rather than an advantage.