[Incubator] Request for OSGEO Community Project for rasdaman - raster database manager (rasdaman.org)

Pham Huu, Bang B.PhamHuu at jacobs-university.de
Fri Sep 27 08:19:58 PDT 2019

Thank Jody for listing the required information.
I added also a page for introducing rasdaman as a project here: https://www.osgeo.org/projects/rasdaman/

I hope I can respond to your requirements with the details below, please validate them:

1. Be geospatial:
 + "Confirm by checking README or project description".
    It is written on the homepage of project http://rasdaman.org as  Geo Raster Server.
 + "We ask projects have some user documentation, for example, an OSGeo Live quickstart".
    Users could start using rasdaman easily with the online document: http://doc.rasdaman.org/02_inst-guide.html#getting-started

2. Have a free license or an open-source license.
rasdaman project has 2 open source licenses: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) for client and GNU General Public License (GPL) for server.
For example in the header of a server source code file, it specifies the GPL license header: http://rasdaman.org/browser/server/createinitmdd.cc#L2

3. Welcome participation and new contributors.
 + "We look for a clear contribution policy"
 rasdaman project encourages users/developers to contribute to the project in the online document: http://doc.rasdaman.org/03_contributing.html#contributing-to-rasdaman

 + "We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps with a history of bug report or pull requests"
 rasdaman project has public Trac wiki to maintain bugs/features tickets at http://rasdaman.org/report/1.
 Anyone can contribute to rasdaman project by submitting their patches to rasdaman source code at http://rasdaman.org/patchmanager

4. Code of Conduct
 + We have this wiki page which follows contribution covenant: http://rasdaman.org/wiki/CodeOfConduct

________________________________
As rasdaman previously took part in the incubation program I expect it is going to more than exceed our requirements for the community program. Indeed the community program was in part inspired by this experience.

I am working on making our checklist clear - so any feedback is more than welcome. For example I think that "Code of Conduct" can be placed under item 3 below:

  1.  Be geospatial
     *   Confirm by checking README or project description
     *   We ask projects have some user documentation, for example an OSGeo Live quickstart
  2.  Have a free license or an open source license.
     *   The license must be OSI approved
     *   We ask that the project team check the file headers and double check the license has been appropriately applied
  3.  Welcome participation and new contributors.
     *   We look for a clear contribution policy
     *   We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps with a history of bug report or pull requests
  4.  Code of Conduct
     *   Code of conduct OSGeo has supplied some guidance for projects<https://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct/>many of which select contribution covenant<https://www.contributor-covenant.org/>

Before we start I am little confused by the service provider page<https://www.osgeo.org/service-providers/rasdaman-raster-database-manager/> (which is for companies). Are you sure you did not want to work on project page<https://www.osgeo.org/projects/>? Both are useful of course ...