[Incubator] MDAL OSGeo Community Project Application Request

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 10:50:41 PST 2020

I see that Jo made a motion, but I did find a review handy ...

Grabbing the checklist from here
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Step_2:_Join_Community_Projects_Program>,
and checking project repository <https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL>:

1. Be geospatial

   - Confirm by checking README or project description
   - project page on the osgeo website
   - We ask projects have some user documentation, for example an OSGeo
   Live quickstart

README (https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL/blob/master/README.md) looks
good.

Website page (https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mdal/) looks good, ideally the
logo is on a white background so it shows up like on other pages.  If there
is a screen snap or something (you mentioned use in QGIS) it really helps
the page communicate the project working with meteorology and hydrology
data.

The page links to documentation (https://www.mdal.xyz) but I do not see a
quickstart on using the library. I was looking forward to seeing some C++
code, I even hunted around in the tutorials (
https://www.mdal.xyz/tutorials/index.html). The README had some tips on
building but not using the library.

2. Have a free license or an open source license.

   - The license must be OSI approved
   - We ask that the project team check the file headers and double check
   the license has been appropriately applied

Nice clear MIT LICENSE (
https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL/blob/master/LICENSE).

Do you have a record of checking the headers somewhere? Looking at the
codebase myself everything seemed good. But the idea is the project team
checks ...

3. Welcome participation and new contributors.

   - We look for a clear contribution policy
   - We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps with a
   history of bug report or pull requests
   - Projects are required to have a code of conduct

I do not see a CONTRIBUTING.md file.
Digging deeper the manual has something on community (
https://www.mdal.xyz/community.html) with a section covering development
and welcoming pull requests. A CONTRIBUTING.md file is still recommended as
the project is hosted on GitHub.
- As an example the project contains a list of AUTHORS (
https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL/blob/master/AUTHORS)  is this file
updated when accepting a PR from a new contributor?
- Does they new contributor add their copyright to the header when updating
a file?
- How about when a contributor is adding a new file ...

Nice clear pull request history. are they all from Vincent Cloarec? Who may
be from an external organization? Checking commit history to try and answer
this question, other authors are committing directly on a very active
codebase.

Nice clear code of conduct.

So I am soft +1 on this one:
- I see nothing missing - it looks to be an interesting active project :)
- would like to double check that the team checked headers
- ask that the team pick up their section from the user manual into a
CONTIRBUTING.md, and perhaps add to it over time