[Incubator] Application to host Open Source Project "GeoStyler" as OSGeo Community Project

Jan Suleiman suleiman at terrestris.de
Wed Mar 18 09:19:08 PDT 2020

Dear Incubation Committee,

we would like to introduce our Open Source project "GeoStyler".

GeoStyler is an Open Source JavaScript library that enables users to
style maps with the help of a Graphical User Interface.
The goal of GeoStyler is a universally applicable GUI that works with
any given style format; may it be SLD, QML, OpenLayers, etc.

In order to achieve that goal, we follow a plugin-approach where so
called "style-parsers" can be plugged into the UI. These style parsers
work as a conversion tool to bidirectionally convert between any
external style and our internal style format.
As a positive side effect, we are able to convert from one external
format to another one (e.g. from QML to SLD, etc.).

The GUI library is written in react but also provides browser builds to
enable its usage outside of any react application.

With thanks to currently 16 different contributors, we successfully
maintain 15 repositories in our GitHub organisation, including the UI
library and documentation, different style-parsers, data-parsers, type
definitions, a demo application and a tutorial. The majority of these
was also already published on NPM. On the OSGeo Bolsena Code Sprint
2019, a GeoServer Community Extension was written that integrates
GeoStyler and allows the creation of styles within GeoServer by using
our GUI.

The GitHub organisation can be found here:
https://github.com/geostyler/geostyler
The Demo Application including links to Docs, GitHub and NPM can be
found here: https://geostyler.org
The GeoServer Plugin here:
https://docs.geoserver.org/master/en/user/community/geostyler/index.html
FOSS4G 2019 Talk:
https://media.ccc.de/v/bucharest-204-geostyler-a-generic-graphical-style-editor-for-geodata
FOSSGIS 2019 Talk (German):
https://media.ccc.de/v/fossgis2019-478-geostyler-ein-generischer-grafischer-stileditor-fr-geodaten
AGIT 2019 Talk (German): https://av.tib.eu/media/43048
FOSSGIS 2020 Talk (German):
https://media.ccc.de/v/fossgis2020-3027-neues-vom-geostyler

The licenses are BSD-2-Clause and we are very happy and eager to extend
the list of contributors. Our first goal would be to be listed on the
OSGeo webpage and in the long run to release GeoStyler as an OSGeo
Community Project.

In the future, we would like to provide additional style-parsers (e.g.
for mapserver) and extend the UI library with additional components to
further simplify styling maps.

We are happy to receive your support, if there are any questions, we are
happy to help!

Kind regards

Jan Suleiman

--

   M.Sc. Geoinformatik Jan Suleiman
   - Anwendungsentwickler -

   terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
   Kölnstraße 99
   53111 Bonn

   Tel: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -51
   Fax: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -57

   Email: suleiman at terrestris.de
   Web: http://www.terrestris.de

   Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
   Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen

   Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf
   unserer Homepage unter folgendem Link:
   https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/