[Incubator] Initiating the process for R-Spatial to become an OSGeo community project

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri May 28 16:59:32 PDT 2021

First up it is great to see such a strong R community, I have even seen
presentations on the *sf* in my local university down "geogeeks" meetup
(back when we could you know meet up).

I was checking in to see if you had made any progress towards an osgeo
project page, and I did not see anything yet...

Checking your github repositories such as https://github.com/r-spatial/sf

1 Be geospatial
- README.md clearly spatial topic :)

2. Have a free license or open source license
- sf LICENSE <-- does not actually list an open source license (so you
would trick github license detection)
- mapview was clearly GPL
- Searching the codebase shows
https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/master/DESCRIPTION#L50 indicating some
combination of MIT and GPL (what is your thought here?)

3. Welcome participation and new contributors.
- Well I have personally experienced your enthusiastic community, ... but
this is a bit more focused on having a policy for things like pull requests.
- Massive number of closed pull requests from a wide range of contributors
- For sf I did not find a CONTRIBUTING.md file (shown to folks making a
pull request) but the README has heading about contributing which is great

So this looks okay, but I have questions:

Q: What is the project license for sf? Can you clearly indicate it in a
LICENSE.md file? Or would that mess up your build?
Q: What is your osgeo id? So you can be setup with website access to make a
project page