[Incubator] platforms discussion

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:31:13 PDT 2021

Hi Jody,

These thoughts extend on your ‘there can be only one’ comment below.

I think that we in the Incubation Committee and our potential future incubating projects would benefit from our better defining what type of open source project we will support.

Greg Troxel contributed valuable insight into a discussion that we were having in the OSGeo Standards list on the proposed OGC/OSGeo MOU. See [1] for context.

With apologies to Greg for my paraphrasing, I understand Greg’s arguments to strongly differentiate between open source projects that are subject to proprietary relicensing and those that are not.

Greg contributed the blog link at [2] as part of the discussion. This is an insightful read.

If we had had a clear policy on the type of open source project that we are willing to support during the unfortunate situation with the Rasdaman Incubation vote, we could have avoided a lot of the angst and miscommunication that occurred on both sides.

So before we progress too much further on the ‘Platforms’ discussion, I think that it would be beneficial to resolve the OSGeo Incubation supported open source model issue definitively.  I believe that this will make it much easier to progress the platforms discussion, and future incubations.

While I have concerns over the interpretation of what a Contributions Licence is, I believe that the links at [1] and [2] are a good starting point to get this sorted out.

Kind regards,

Bruce

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2021-September/001274.html

[2] https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2020/jan/06/copyleft-equality/