[Incubator] Initiating the process for R-Spatial to become an OSGeo community project - Update

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 13:45:25 PDT 2022

Okay so let me try the review again:

Website page feedback (and some edits since it is already live):

1. The logo - do you have one? I guess I see the same thing on your website
2. The description includes a lot of raw URLs, I edited to make these text
and easier to read
3. Is it possible to make a screen snaps showing a code example or or a
visual result (it is important for folks to have an idea of what the
program looks like even if it is only analysis)
4. The license part is understandably hard to follow, can I just ask if all
of the libraries are open source or free software (the example you cite is
GPL-2 or MIT). I added a footer with your explanation and left the license
part simple showing a list of licenses I saw (you perhaps know more)
5. You have some links to user blog and twitter, but no developer links to
source code or build instructions. I added some but perhaps you have more?
6. The projects (https://r-spatial.org/projects/) are a challenge, with the
ESRI one not being open source. Would it be smart to list licenses on that
page?
7. Core contributors ... are there any R-Spatial service providers
available?
8. Changed the description to say "open source project" while we wait for
incubation committee and board motion

Project review: This is a challenge since there are several projects in one
family; we can limit the check to the ones listed on the website page or
the projects <https://r-spatial.org/projects/> page of your website. (The
https://r-spatial.github.io/sf/ page is so cute with little mascots).

1. geospatial
- geospatial: https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/README.md -
geospatial
- user docs or quickstart: https://r-spatial.github.io/sf/ and
https://r-spatial.github.io/sf/ <-- the cheatsheet is great
2. free or open source
- https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/LICENSE <-- this is not complete
- checking headers:
- https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/R/RcppExports.R - generated
- https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/R/bind.R - no header applied
- https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/src/bbox.h - no header
- https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/src/gdal_read.cpp - no header
3. Participatory
-
CONTRIBUTING.md - do not see this (file shown when making a pull request)
- https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/pulls can see a lot of successful pull
requests so that is great
4. code of conduct
- https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/CONDUCT.md - great

So it looks like for the *sf* module there is some work to do on headers; I
am going to hold off checking any more.