[Incubator] Application OSGeo - GISCollective

Bogdan Szabo contact at szabobogdan.com
Mon Mar 21 14:24:47 PDT 2022

Hi Greg and everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback Greg. I see your point related to the guides. It makes a lot of sense. Related to that we managed to update our guide at https://guide.giscollective.com/ . I hope that the developer guides are more visible and make more sense now.

All the data that is added to the platform can be imported/exported as a user using geojson, geopackage and csv. This is a feature that we are looking to improve, and we are looking forward for getting more feedback from the osgeo community. We still need to write the user guides for this feature since they are not 100% complete.

Related to the installation and pushing packages to the packaging systems, so far nobody was interested in running outside a docker container and we considered that is good enough for now. Initially when we started the project we were building .deb and .rpm packages

but it was taking a lot of effort in maintaining them and we were deploying the apps using containers anyway, and we stopped maintaining them. If someone is interested in using those packages or if they want to use another system we would be happy to support it. Based on your feedback, I also started to add documentation on how to build the projects from scratch here: https://guide.giscollective.com/en/Develop/

Related to who has or does not have commit rights anyone who follows this steps https://guide.giscollective.com/en/develop/CONTRIBUTING/#merge-request-guidelines can contribute. Do you think that there is any missing information on this page? Do you have any thoughts about how can we clarify this?

I agree that there are many aspects that we can improve on many sides and hopefully if we will be accepted in the incubation program, we will get more help with those docs, license and processes.

We are looking forward to find out about the next steps and to receive more feedback!

Thanks,
Bogdan