[Industry] development model vs business model

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Aug 22 06:45:45 PDT 2014

On 22 August 2014 14:28, Dirk Frigne <dirk.frigne at geosparc.com> wrote:
> reacting on the comments of Mateusz:
>
> On 22-08-14 12:03, Dirk Frigne wrote:
>> Sorry for crossposting, but this snippet from the thread
>> "[Conference-europe] when and where " in the
>> conference-europe at lists.osgeo.org is very interesting for the industry
>> list, which was created in response to a detected need on the first
>> FOSS4G-Europe conference in Bremen last July.
>>
>> As summer holiday's  are coming to an end, maybe a good time to start
>> discusing more in depth how open source as a development model could be
>> integrated/used in bussines.
>>

>> On 22-08-14 11:27, Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Rather business than commercial (just words, I know)
>>> Yes, I started wondering if we all mean the same.
>>> To me:
>>>
>>> FOSS4G + commercial = uses of FOSS4G in commercial solutions (i.e. use
>>> FOSS4G to make
>>> money through integration, bundles, support, etc./)
>>>
>>> FOSS4G + proprietary = similar, but slightly different as it means
>>> direct inclusion of FOSS4G
>>> (where licence allows) in proprietary software solutions (i.e. I sell
>>> my application X which uses GDAL)
>
> I agree with the difference you make. I have a comment on:
> "Where license allows":
> this should be part of a separate discussion.

Yes, of course. I just wanted to be somewhat clearer (about awareness
of the issue)
just so such discussion is actually avoided while we are discussing
the conference issues.

>>> Finally, we have general issue of FOSS4G vs business which to me
>>> covers (FOSS4G + commercial) + (FOSS4G + proprietary)
>>>
>>> IMHO, it's important to discuss such differences as one may ask: can I
>>> present, at the FOSS4G Europe,
>>> my proprietary software based on OSGeo projects, explain why I use it,
>>> and how I contribute back to Open Source?
>
> IMHO this should be possible. Business is not bad. Earning money with
> open source should be promoted by our community. But I think we should
> declare some guidelines on "ethical and respectfull business". Just like
> "Fair trade coffee" we should define rules what is ethical correct and
> what not to call something "Fair Trade Open Source".

+1

> f.e. using open source work of a party, earning a lot of money with it,
> and not contributing back seems not fitting under that principle.
> I want to set up a thread about what do we understand under "Fair Trade
> Open Source" business. And I think presenting examples of proprietary
> software can help in defining these ethics.

Yes, indeed.

> Another topic I want to touch is why are we committing time and money to
> open source? (for sure because it gives us something back, but is this
> the only driver?)
>[...]
> And this is also the reason why business and open source is important.
> And why we should think about "Fair trade open source" business. Which
> can be business with proprietary software, based on open source. (FOSS4G
> + proprietary) or integration and bundel of processes (FOSS4G + Commercial)

Sounds like a good topic(s) to send request to the Community asking
for talks and presentations about it. I'm sure there are business
owners/managers
who have relevant experiences, perhaps they would be willing to share it.

>From my, developer's, point of view, that would be good example of
crossing the ditch between those who make open code (regardless affiliation)
and those who make money based on open code.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net