[Industry] development model vs business model

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Aug 22 12:31:54 PDT 2014

Le vendredi 22 août 2014 15:45:45, Mateusz Łoskot a écrit :
> On 22 August 2014 14:28, Dirk Frigne <dirk.frigne at geosparc.com> wrote:
> > reacting on the comments of Mateusz:
> >
> > On 22-08-14 12:03, Dirk Frigne wrote:
> >> Sorry for crossposting, but this snippet from the thread
> >> "[Conference-europe] when and where " in the
> >> conference-europe at lists.osgeo.org is very interesting for the industry
> >> list, which was created in response to a detected need on the first
> >> FOSS4G-Europe conference in Bremen last July.
> >>
> >> As summer holiday's  are coming to an end, maybe a good time to start
> >> discusing more in depth how open source as a development model could be
> >> integrated/used in bussines.
> >>

> >> On 22-08-14 11:27, Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > I agree with the difference you make. I have a comment on:
> > "Where license allows":
> > this should be part of a separate discussion.
>
> Yes, of course. I just wanted to be somewhat clearer (about awareness
> of the issue)
> just so such discussion is actually avoided while we are discussing
> the conference issues.

> > IMHO this should be possible. Business is not bad. Earning money with
> > open source should be promoted by our community. But I think we should
> > declare some guidelines on "ethical and respectfull business". Just like
> > "Fair trade coffee" we should define rules what is ethical correct and
> > what not to call something "Fair Trade Open Source".
>
> +1
>
> > f.e. using open source work of a party, earning a lot of money with it,
> > and not contributing back seems not fitting under that principle.
> > I want to set up a thread about what do we understand under "Fair Trade
> > Open Source" business. And I think presenting examples of proprietary
> > software can help in defining these ethics.
>
> Yes, indeed.
>
> > Another topic I want to touch is why are we committing time and money to
> > open source? (for sure because it gives us something back, but is this
> > the only driver?)
> >
> >[...]
> >
> > And this is also the reason why business and open source is important.
> > And why we should think about "Fair trade open source" business. Which
> > can be business with proprietary software, based on open source. (FOSS4G
> > + proprietary) or integration and bundel of processes (FOSS4G +
> > Commercial)
>
> Sounds like a good topic(s) to send request to the Community asking
> for talks and presentations about it. I'm sure there are business
> owners/managers
> who have relevant experiences, perhaps they would be willing to share it.
>
> From my, developer's, point of view, that would be good example of
> crossing the ditch between those who make open code (regardless
> affiliation) and those who make money based on open code.

There was a recent post from Steven Feldman related to that :

http://knowwhereconsulting.co.uk/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-
lunch/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=linkedin

If we were to deliver a "Fair trade open source" label (or more specifically
"Fair trade of OSGeo software"),  it would be difficult to do that in a ... fair
way, because you would have to measure somehow the value contributed back to
OSGeo with respect to the value made by using OSGeo software.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com