[Industry] development model vs business model

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Sat Aug 23 02:28:26 PDT 2014

Even,

On 22-08-14 21:31, Even Rouault wrote:
> Le vendredi 22 août 2014 15:45:45, Mateusz Łoskot a écrit :
>> On 22 August 2014 14:28, Dirk Frigne <dirk.frigne at geosparc.com> wrote:
>>> reacting on the comments of Mateusz:

> If we were to deliver a "Fair trade open source" label (or more specifically
> "Fair trade of OSGeo software"),  it would be difficult to do that in a ... fair
> way, because you would have to measure somehow the value contributed back to
> OSGeo with respect to the value made by using OSGeo software.
The fact something will be difficult does not mean impossible.
The first thing we would have to do is to define why open source (in
general - but as far as we are concerned for Geo) is important, and what
is "fair" and what is not.
This can be done by listening to people who are using open source for
business. Why they choose for OSGeo software, and what they think is
fair (or only legal).

I think a good opportunity to start with this is the proposed business
track on the next FOSS4G-Europe conference. The idea's for such a
business track are being discussed in the thread "when and where" [1].
>From such testimonials we can learn what "we" define as "Fair" and
establish guidelines, which when followed allows a business entity, an
academic user or an administration to label themselves as respecting
these guidelines.
This could be a good first start for this difficult task.

> Even
D.
[1]
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference-europe/2014-August/000173.html