[Industry] development model vs business model

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Aug 28 04:10:29 PDT 2014

On 28 August 2014 10:20, Dirk Frigne <dirk.frigne at geosparc.com> wrote:
> Jachym,
>
> I was aware of the blog of Steve since the publication of it.
> Although many idea's are parallel with the thoughts I have of
> #fairtradeopensource, an important difference is 'it's all about *me*'
> concept ad in Paul's talk is indicated.
>
> This is certainly a good first step, but where we should aim to is the 'it's
> all about *WE*' like described in my nomination toughts [1]:
>
> What does the WE community look like?
> [...]

Those belong to principles of OSGeo community itself.
IMHO, the OSGeo community has defined itself pretty well and there is
no need to reshape it.
But, the gist of the discussion that started this thread was about
interaction with
external world, namely, the businesses.

I'd like to understand how OSGeo could develop fair and healthy relationship
with businesses, including those not purely based on the open source
development model.
In fact, it has already done that in many cases, but I understand more
needs to be done.

I'd like to hear from business, perhaps at the conference, how they
would address
the following issues, mentioned in the original thread on the
conference-europe ml:

"It may sound silly, but an open source Geospatial conference sponsered
by Google and ESRI "seems" more worthwhile than one which is not."

""money does not smell", no matter from where it goes - certainly not from ESRI.
ESRI is just another company in this geospatial industry."

"you are open source, so competition to our products - why should we
sponsor that?"

and others, examples, like:

"Ok, then what shouldn't I open source?
That's easy. Don't open source anything that represents core business value."
http://tom.preston-werner.com/2011/11/22/open-source-everything.html
(BTW, from FOSS evangelism point, I'm still confused about the idea of
de facto migration of OSGeo projects to GitHub)

"Microsoft (...) is a good open source citizen."
http://www.cio.com/article/2465694/open-source-development/does-microsoft-really-love-open-source.html

How to you we address such questions as a community?
What may be worth to work on, is a sort of policy reaching businesses
that is common
view of the community (I'm an idealist, am I not?).

While we are on the sponsorship, there are other aspects, that could
go on the Threats side of SWAT, like:
http://pando.com/2014/08/27/code-club-cofounder-resigns-after-being-ordered-not-to-criticize-google/

Best regards,
--