[iTowns-dev] itowns V1 : RC1 ?

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Feb 16 04:47:00 PST 2016

Hello

On 16/02/2016 11:52, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> <mailto:mathieu.bredif at ign.fr>>:
>     There are still a sizeable amount of dead code and hardcoded values,
>     some 404 errors, and room for improvement, but I propose to consider
>     the master branch of itowns V1, so that we consider it as a technology
>     preview and focus our efforts on the V2.
>     Could you please all test it and report any blocker ?
>     http://itowns.github.io/v1demo.html
>     http://itowns.github.io/itowns-sample-data-small/
>     http://itowns.github.io/itowns-sample-data/

Looks good to me (even on 4K screen).
I am in favor of publishing directly this release as Version 1.0, and
improve and fix things in dot-releases shortly afterwards.

> Side note: not quite a fan of the toggles between panoramic images and
> 3D buildings; should probably be a single toggle rather than 2 linked ones.
> Also, enabling laser cloud when in 3D buildings view has some unexpected
> behavior (seems to load based on "what would be seen had the camera been
> at ground level", and when zooming in to another place –clicking on a
> street or building– the already-loaded or still-loading cloud can be
> seen "through" the buildings)

Indeed, could be better, but no blocker for v1.0. Feel free to open new
issues :-)

>     I am now going to close open issues and eventually open new ones.
>     What is the release process ?
>

> First thing would be to create a tag (prefer annotated tags; i.e. 'git
> tag -a -m "Releasing v1.0" v1.0'; I tend to name version tags with a "v"
> prefix too).

Same here. And globally use semver.org for versioning.
Not that a RELEASE.md document would be helpful, at least for itowns 2.

> I wonder if we should "deploy" a compiled itowns.js at, e.g.
> itowns.github.io/itowns/1.0/itowns.js
> <http://itowns.github.io/itowns/1.0/itowns.js>, in addition to
> dist/itowns.js (which could still be updated regularly to reflect
> ongoing developments, even though our focus shifts to the V2).
> We could also (or instead), attach the compiled script to the GitHub
> release page.

We can do that for next releases, not a blocker IMHO.

> Also: do we want to include a version number in the compiled JS? do we
> want to include a "banner comment" with, e.g., licensing information?
> That would need to be done before we tag the release.

We should do that at least for 2.0, and can backport to 1.1 or later
version. Not a blocker for 1.0 for me, as the licence is clearly stated
in the LICENSE.md file ( note that for next release we should also state
MIT option).

I'd say go release !

Who tags it ? If nobody goes for it, I do it today at 16:00.
As soon as it is done, we can update the website and communicate. I have
mostly written the release text already, can finish it today.

Vincent