[iTowns-dev] itowns V1 : RC1 ?

Thomas Broyer t.broyer at atolcd.com
Tue Feb 16 02:52:17 PST 2016

> Dear all,
>
> There are still a sizeable amount of dead code and hardcoded values,
> some 404 errors, and room for improvement, but I propose to consider
> the master branch of itowns V1, so that we consider it as a technology
> preview and focus our efforts on the V2.

Talking about V2, https://github.com/iTowns/itowns2/pull/39 is still
awaiting review.
I started pushing followup changes to
https://github.com/iTowns/itowns2/tree/amdtoes6

Could you please all test it and report any blocker ?
> http://itowns.github.io/v1demo.html
> http://itowns.github.io/itowns-sample-data-small/
> http://itowns.github.io/itowns-sample-data/

Works great for me.

Side note: not quite a fan of the toggles between panoramic images and 3D
buildings; should probably be a single toggle rather than 2 linked ones.
Also, enabling laser cloud when in 3D buildings view has some unexpected
behavior (seems to load based on "what would be seen had the camera been at
ground level", and when zooming in to another place –clicking on a street
or building– the already-loaded or still-loading cloud can be seen
"through" the buildings)

> I am now going to close open issues and eventually open new ones.
> What is the release process ?

First thing would be to create a tag (prefer annotated tags; i.e. 'git tag
-a -m "Releasing v1.0" v1.0'; I tend to name version tags with a "v" prefix
too).
I wonder if we should "deploy" a compiled itowns.js at, e.g.
itowns.github.io/itowns/1.0/itowns.js, in addition to dist/itowns.js (which
could still be updated regularly to reflect ongoing developments, even
though our focus shifts to the V2).
We could also (or instead), attach the compiled script to the GitHub
release page.

Also: do we want to include a version number in the compiled JS? do we want
to include a "banner comment" with, e.g., licensing information?
That would need to be done before we tag the release.

Cordialement,
--
Thomas Broyer
Atol Conseils et Développements