[iTowns-dev] Video in repo

Thomas Broyer t.broyer at atolcd.com
Thu Jun 29 03:03:05 PDT 2017

15 months ago (or so), big files were added to the project and then
removed, and I also floated the idea of a history rewrite. I never got the
"go" so it hasn't been done. Iff we go that road for the video file, I
suggest we also get rid of those old commits.

I don't have a strong opinion whether this should be done, but it's clear
that it's now or never.

I'd suggest we eventually find a way to somehow reject pull requests (we
apparently can't reject commits/pushes) with big files (or many smaller
files!); possibly an additional check in Travis, I don't know.

>:

> Hi there!
>
> Quick question with the release in sight: a video of 24M has been added (in
> aabc913) and removed later (in b321c01) in the repository. This makes the
> clone
> of the repository quite long even though the video is not in master any
> more.
> Should we rewrite the history to get rid of it?
>
> It's possible, but it implies a force-push on master. It means that
> everybody
> will need to use "git rebase --onto master <commit-range>" for all their
> branches after this push is done and force-push them (and maybe a git reset
> --hard on their local master, I'm not sure how clever git is nowadays).
>
> It's a low risk process (we'll keep a copy of the old master around), but
> it's a
> bit of a hassle and requires synchronization between us. I believe it is
> possible, but if we want to do it, we'd better do it now, before success
> hits us
> hard and we have thousands of contributors (yeah, I'm an optimistic kind
> of guy
> ;-) )
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --