[Java-collab] Introduction

Markus Schneider schneider at lat-lon.de
Mon Jun 29 08:35:24 EDT 2009

Hello list,

I am Markus Schneider, from the deegree project (http://www.deegree.org), which is currently going through OSGeo incubation.

I just came back from the OSGeo hacking event 2009 in Bolsena (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Hacking_Event_2009)
where I met Andrea Aime from GeoServer and where we discovered possible areas for valuable and efficient collaboration:

- Work together on a Java interface and implementation for an advanced geometry model, that supports all geometry
constructs of GML 3.1.1 (and GML 3.2.1, which is basically a subset of 3.1.1). The current implementation in deegree 3
would act as the starting point.
- Implement a common interface for "simple" geoprocessing in Java as suggested by Ugo Taddei. This would include a
model for simple features and maybe other areas such as raster processing. The motivation would be to hide the complex
models used by geotools and deegree behind a very simple interface for the average use case (think: simple features for
java). Of course, this would not target any fancy stuff like complex features.

Best regards,
Markus Schneider

--
Markus Schneider

l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 184960       fax ++49 +228 1849629
http://www.lat-lon.de        http://www.deegree.org