[Java-collab] Introduction

Markus Schneider schneider at lat-lon.de
Mon Jun 29 11:02:58 EDT 2009

As Andrea already knows, we're trying to keep the implementation effort as low as possible. Therefore, our approach is
not extending JTS, but using wrappers around JTS geometries, that can cope with simple and complex geometries:

- In case of a simple geometry (Point, LineString, Polygon), the wrapper is totally straightforward, e.g. calls to
#intersects() are just passed to JTS.
- For complex ones (e.g. curves with non-linear segments), the curve parameters are stored in the wrapper and
additionally, a linearized version is generated (represented using JTS) that is used to evaluate spatial predicates.

A major benefit of this approach is that it is also applicable to backends (e.g. PostGIS). We would store a linearized
version as a native PostGIS geometry (used for the topological predicates), and store a BLOB beside it that stores the
original curve segments and their parameters (only necessary when curve is not a linestring).

Obviously, this approach is restriced to operations on the footprint when dealing with 3D-geometries. But this is still
better than nothing :-) Getting a 3D-BBox-operator working should be manageble, though.

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Schneider

l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 184960       fax ++49 +228 1849629
http://www.lat-lon.de        http://www.deegree.org