[Java-collab] Re: geometry next steps

Markus Schneider schneider at lat-lon.de
Mon Oct 5 12:44:24 EDT 2009

Hi Jody,

Jody Garnett wrote:

> One thing I would like to clarify is the creation of factories... you
> mention the desire for two factories (one for SFS and one for ISO).
>
> I am actually feeling pretty strongly about having *one* factory (ie
> where you have all the new methods) and two "builders" (one for SFS and
> one for ISO). Would you mind if I take this technical direction - I have
> found it to be a good separation of concerns that prevents duplication.

If I understand correctly, then the benefits are that each geometry implementation would require only a single factory
class. The builders can be identical for all implementations and delegate the work to the selected factory.

Sounds very reasonable to me. Or am I missing the point?

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Schneider

l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 184960       fax ++49 +228 1849629
http://www.lat-lon.de        http://www.deegree.org