[Java-collab] collab svn again

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:01:10 EDT 2009

Hi Markus:

Taking the topic of a neutral svn otu to a separate thread (in order
not to lose our momentum on talking about sprint results).

This topic actually sums up why we were rejected for an OSGeo lab; we
need your organisation to figure out what it is comfortable with prior
to asking OSGeo for an svn repository.
Taking things off to another svn repository will not help or hinder
asking your organisation to agree to an LGPL license (ie to do so I
would then need to wait for a code contribution
agreement prior to being able to commit or take part on that svn).

So in this respect I am simply waiting for you to hunt down the
definition of the LGPL license and find FSF Europe; or OSGeo
Foundation representative to talk things through with.

(Once you agree to an LGPL license and any form of code contribution
agreement you will wind up at something like the GeoTools code
contribution agreement; if you would like to copy that
document as a starting point and write "java-collab" on the top it
will make no difference to me - indeed we could take just such a
document and a wiki page of initial members and apply for
OSGeo Lab. You may also find that starting with something based on FSF
Europe would be applicable? If so OSGeo Foundation would be failing in
its goals of encouraging collaboration - so
talk to a board member when you get a chance? Or see if they would
like to register in Europe. )

>From my stand point I just ask that the result be LGPL so we can
easily use it from GeoTools; and the the governance structure be both
open to new members. We had agreed on (c) OSGeo
which is why the code contribution agreement came up.

Regards,
Jody

PS. No rush on this - we are wanting to make sure everyone is
comfortable; and our next window of opportunity to hack seems to be
after deegree 3 release? Andrea and myself can continue
to kick things into shape while we wait.