[Java-collab] collab svn again

Markus Schneider schneider at lat-lon.de
Thu Oct 29 06:16:24 EDT 2009

Hi Jody,

Jody Garnett wrote:

> This topic actually sums up why we were rejected for an OSGeo lab; we
> need your organisation to figure out what it is comfortable with prior
> to asking OSGeo for an svn repository.
> Taking things off to another svn repository will not help or hinder
> asking your organisation to agree to an LGPL license (ie to do so I
> would then need to wait for a code contribution
> agreement prior to being able to commit or take part on that svn).

I am sorry if I have caused confusion here. deegree has always been licensed under the LGPL and this applies of course
to the geometry code of deegree 3 as well.

> So in this respect I am simply waiting for you to hunt down the
> definition of the LGPL license and find FSF Europe; or OSGeo
> Foundation representative to talk things through with.
>
> (Once you agree to an LGPL license and any form of code contribution
> agreement you will wind up at something like the GeoTools code
> contribution agreement; if you would like to copy that
> document as a starting point and write "java-collab" on the top it
> will make no difference to me - indeed we could take just such a
> document and a wiki page of initial members and apply for
> OSGeo Lab. You may also find that starting with something based on FSF
> Europe would be applicable? If so OSGeo Foundation would be failing in
> its goals of encouraging collaboration - so
> talk to a board member when you get a chance? Or see if they would
> like to register in Europe. )

As I stated earlier, only the legal implications of the copyright assignment to GeoTools/OSGeo are holding us back (not
the LGPL license). It's actually not so easy to understand the legal consequences of the code copyright assignment
document when you're not a lawyer. Maybe some OSGeo legal guy can help to make this a bit more clear -- I think the part
in question is section II. This could also help other (incubating) projects, so they know if they should be fine with
assigning the copyright.

>>From my stand point I just ask that the result be LGPL so we can
> easily use it from GeoTools; and the the governance structure be both
> open to new members. We had agreed on (c) OSGeo
> which is why the code contribution agreement came up.

Same here. As long as it's LGPL it's fine -- and of course new members are welcome.

 > PS. No rush on this - we are wanting to make sure everyone is
> comfortable; and our next window of opportunity to hack seems to be
> after deegree 3 release? Andrea and myself can continue
> to kick things into shape while we wait.

Agreed.

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Schneider

l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 184960       fax ++49 +228 1849629
http://www.lat-lon.de        http://www.deegree.org