[Landsat-pds] Status - Caught up with USGS!

Sundwall, Jed jsundwal at amazon.com
Thu Jan 29 15:05:19 PST 2015

Celebration!<http://38.media.tumblr.com/84eb17389e8be791d0c3de2d606dc838/tumblr_mxx0yrW3Rl1qa5znqo1_400.gif>

We’ve updated the existing JavaScript S3 Explorer<http://landsat-pds.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html> to use the right endpoints to download files, but we need to resolve a few things before we’re happy with it.

1. It doesn’t update the URL in the browser as you navigate. I.e. If I click into row 100 and path 050 and try to copy and paste the URL from my browser, it will just send you back to where you started.
2. For the basic directory navigation, it’s way too crufty. We don’t need tables for that. We need lists!
3. I don’t want to use this approach for the individual scene index.html files. Scene index.html should be more or less like Frank’s and should be easy for search engines to index.

A few questions for Frank:

1. What’s expensive about the current approach? Is it the fact that all of the path/row index.html files need to be re-written every time a new scene is added?
2. What are the pain points for creating the scene specific index.html files? As far as search engine indexing goes, we wouldn’t need much info in plain text other than the scene name and some boiler plate language.
3. What do you think about creating a site map and updating it with URLs for individual scenes as they’re created? That way we don’t have to worry about crawlers not knowing how to navigate the JavaScript tree browser but can just get a list of every scene’s URL?

I’ll keep noodling on the JavaScript explorer.

Again, Celebration! Thanks to everyone who worked on this – but mostly Frank ;) We got a lot done in a very short amount of time.

Jed.