[Landsat-pds] Upcoming updates to Landsat on AWS data

Amit Kapadia amit at planet.com
Wed Sep 30 12:00:10 PDT 2015

Hey Jed,

Thanks for reaching out to them. Looks like we have another rate-limiting
error to handle:

usgs.USGSError: RATE_LIMIT: Rate limit exceeded - cannot support
simultaneous requests.

According to the changelog of the USGS inventory service:

August 2015

 * Implemented single-stream rate limiting
 * Added FGDC Metadata URL to search and metadata responses
 * API Key is now required for all requests

Despite the change being made in August, we're only now starting to see
this error. Previously, we were allowed 2 simultaneous downloads per
machine. This has been cut in half. To keep up with the flow of Landsat
scenes, we need simultaneous requests. This error is cropping up
periodically in our re-ingestion of the ~53,000 scenes, as well as our
daily ingestion.

Enforcing single-stream per machine is a terrible waste of computing
resources.

Also note, the need of an API key for all requests. Previously, anyone was
able to programmatically access metadata. This is no longer possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Amit