[Lexicon] Lexicon -- OSGeo Lexicon discussion group

Erik Stubkjær est at plan.aau.dk
Fri Dec 6 13:30:02 PST 2019

Hi, Lexicon group,

Like Codrina I just joined the group, so I follow her path:

a. Who you are.

Danish professor emeritus, having lectured and researched during 1977-2008 on cadastre and land administration at Aalborg University, Denmark.
Co-author with Dr. Volkan Cagdas, Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, of the Cadastre and Land Administration Thesaurus (CaLAThe), issued 2011 at http://www.cadastralvocabulary.org.
Contributed to the OGC® Land and Infrastructure Conceptual Model Standard (LandInfra), issued 2016.

b. Mention your interest is in the OSGeo Lexicon Committee.

I search for a context where the objectives behind CaLAThe may become articulated and applied for further development of CaLAThe. I am curious to learn whether this is within the intended scope of the Committee.

c. Possibly mention what you would like to see developed and how you'd like to help make it happen.

CaLAThe addresses the terminology of a multi-disciplinary domain, populated with land surveyors / engineers, but also with the legal profession, public administration staff, and economists / valuars. Consequently, in developing CaLAThe we were concerned to extract terminology from legal sources (e.g. dualjuridik, ELRA, ..) and from established thesauri (GEMET thesaurus, AGROVOC thesaurus, and the STW Thesaurus for Economics) to reflect this multi-disciplinary pattern.
CaLAThe has found its place among other thesauri within the BARTOC framework of thesauri, cf. https://bartoc-skosmos.unibas.ch/en/, and I would like to see a similar integration of the geospatial domain with the mentioned semantic resources. If the Lexicon Committee considers this relevant, a possible next step might be that Volkan and I contact a BARTOC editor.

d. Confirm that you are okay with joining the Lexicon Committee.
Confirm.

Best regards

Erik

Dr. Erik Stubkjær