[Lexicon] Lexicon -- OSGeo Lexicon discussion group

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 11:16:01 PST 2019

Welcome Erik,

Thanks for your introduction. It is great to hear of your interest to
bring your CaLAThe and related experience to this community. Also
aligning these communities with OSGeo Lexicon would be excellent.

Yes, reaching out to the Bartoc editor sounds like a good idea. Feel
free to do so.

For people who have recently joined this email list, and are not
familiar with general OSGeo principles, we tend to work as a
"Do-ocracy". In a volunteer organisation, the person who does the work,
generally gets to decide what gets done and how it is done. (Of course,
it is a good idea to canvas the opinion of the rest of the community to
make use of their experience.)

Likewise if someone suggests an idea, such as Erik has done, I encourage
others to comment and volunteer their opinions. (While I helped start
this community because there was a need and I have experience starting
communities, my experience with Lexicon management is very limited. I'm
really hoping that all the people subscribed here can bounce ideas off
each other on this list without me.)

Warm regards,

Cameron

On 7/12/19 8:30 am, Erik Stubkjær wrote:

> Hi, Lexicon group,
>
> Like Codrina I just joined the group, so I follow her path:
>
> a. Who you are.
>
> Danish professor emeritus, having lectured and researched during
> 1977-2008 on cadastre and land administration at Aalborg University,
> Denmark.
>
> Co-author with Dr. Volkan Cagdas, Yildiz Technical University,
> Istanbul, of the Cadastre and Land Administration Thesaurus (CaLAThe),
> issued 2011 at http://www.cadastralvocabulary.org.
>
> Contributed to the OGC® Land and Infrastructure Conceptual Model
> Standard (LandInfra), issued 2016.
>
> b. Mention your interest is in the OSGeo Lexicon Committee.
>
> I search for a context where the objectives behind CaLAThe may become
> articulated and applied for further development of CaLAThe. I am
> curious to learn whether this is within the intended scope of the
> Committee.
>
> c. Possibly mention what you would like to see developed and how you'd
> like to help make it happen.
>
> CaLAThe addresses the terminology of a multi-disciplinary domain,
> populated with land surveyors / engineers, but also with the legal
> profession, public administration staff, and economists / valuars.
> Consequently, in developing CaLAThe we were concerned to extract
> terminology from legal sources (e.g. dualjuridik, ELRA, ..) and from
> established thesauri (GEMET thesaurus, AGROVOC thesaurus, and the STW
> Thesaurus for Economics) to reflect this multi-disciplinary pattern.
>
> CaLAThe has found its place among other thesauri within the BARTOC
> framework of thesauri, cf. https://bartoc-skosmos.unibas.ch/en/, and I
> would like to see a similar integration of the geospatial domain with
> the mentioned semantic resources. If the Lexicon Committee considers
> this relevant, a possible next step might be that Volkan and I contact
> a BARTOC editor.
>
> d. Confirm that you are okay with joining the Lexicon Committee.
>
> Confirm.
>
> Best regards
>
> Erik
>
> Dr. Erik Stubkjær