[Lexicon] invitation to check out a new initiative - OSGeo Geolexica

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 15:37:24 PDT 2020

I've reminded myself how to send a mail merge from our osgeolive contacts
spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Dem6RYkokaX61N8VcomebtqZvcUP-OOt14jt6GPL2TY/edit#gid=1679238205
If we are going to hit our soft release date at the start of Dec, we will
need to get an email out in the next day or two.

Codrina, who have you connected with so far? Unless someone beats me to it,
I'll send an email to the remainder. (Or possibly everyone.)

This is what I propose is sent:

Hi ${"First"}, I'm wondering if you think we should create a glossary for
${"Application Id"}? If so, we'd love some help. We are looking for someone
in the project to review our spreadsheet of OSGeo terms [1] and tick those
that are applicable for ${"Application Id"}. You might also have
suggestions for extra terms we should add. Is this something you can help
us with over the next few weeks?

[1]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1keonRLT3chmqlRZsMMF9UaCI_vzNEHmJx6t9LB3jBjM/edit#gid=1083334541
On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 at 19:44, Codrina Maria Ilie wrote: > Hi all, > > I am
writing to let you know of a new initiative within our community - > the
OSGeo Glossary - led by the Lexicon committee (in formation) with > the
scope of defining and managing geospatial terms across communities. > First
operative steps have already been made with setting up OSGeo > Geolexica
[1] for managing the lexicon database, as well as an initial > load of
terms that was done by a bulk load from cleaned terms and > definitions
compiled by the GeoForAll group. > > The work is done in collaboration with
folks from ISO/TC 211, OGC and > The Good Docs Project [2] that have joined
the Lexicon committee, which > is very constructive given their decades
long experience in terminology, > as well as helping us with
cross-organization alignment of concepts or > avoiding term duplication. >
> Gracefully helping us with the groundwork are two experienced technical >
writers that I’d like to introduce to our community, Ankita and Naini - >
in cc. Their contributions will support us in doing a clean, sharp job >
when it comes to the actual process of glossary construction. > > A next
big step for the Lexicon Committee is setting up pilot glossary > projects
for specific OSGeo projects, irrespective of their status, > incubated, in
the process or community. So, if this could be of interest > to you, please
let me, Cameron, Ankita or Naini know or by joining and > presenting
yourself on the Lexicon mailing list [3] or Slack channel [4]. > > > Cheers
and stay safe, > Codrina