[Liblas-devel] LAS File Header Editor

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Aug 14 08:09:29 EDT 2008

Martin Rodriguez wrote:
>> My observation is that most power users in GIS and not only, need to be
>> able to execute processing chains from command line, with scripting
>> involved, in batches, etc. Customization of processing chains is very
>> limited with GUI. For me, ideal solution is GUI with ability to run from
>> command line, see GRASS for example.
>
> My job is Customization of processing chains using privative software
> (microstation, autocad, arc gis, geomedia, etc...).
> [...]

OK

> I am sure we can get good customization with gui tools.
> - inside consoles (like Linux consoles)

No use of buttons.

> - inside APIS (mdl, autolisp, etc)

No use of buttons.

> - COM inside (vba)

No use of buttons.

> - Managed internal .NET applications.

if GUI enabled, we have buttons.

> - COM APIs (like the new dbus in linux ). I can have full access from ruby,
> perl, python or c# to the 100% of the API of the windows applications.

No use of buttons.

> Privative applications are complex tools. I believe is according to the
> taste. There people like console tools and other GUI tools, but I think both
> can be really efficient in their jobs.

Yes, *both*.

>> Anyway, discussion about GUI vs CLI may easily lead to a flame war, what
>
> We are only talking. I don´t like wars hehe.

Good.

>> ...! I just can't agree that
>> libLAS command line tools is a wrong way to go.
>

> I didn´t say that. I only say I can not find useful for *me* that tools, but
> I am sure other people can use it.

OK

Have you considered to join one of the team of active GUI GIS projects,
like Quantum GIS, GRASS or gvSIG and develop your ideas of LIDAR tools
in frame of one of them?

IMO, it would be easier to bring your application to the market soon,
than if you work on it alone.

Best regards,