[Liblas-devel] St9bad_alloc (3) from method LASReader_Create

Sutton, Rory J SAJ Rory.J.Sutton at usace.army.mil
Fri Aug 15 12:51:19 EDT 2008

We have just taken delivery on literally thousands of lidar files in LAS 1.1
format.  A few of these trigger something in lasinfo (and las2las) that
results in the following:
---------
Could not open file : St9bad_alloc (3) from method LASReader_Create
---------
I'm seeing this on 64-bit linux and Windows XP (separate machines) for those
few files that have this property.  I'm a rank amateur at this but a trace in
DDD/GDB on linux seems to indicate the exception is being thrown at the
Init() below, from lasreader.cpp.  A file that triggers this (at least in my
environment) and one that doesn't, have been posted to
ftp://ftp.usace.army.mil/pub/saj/las .  I've got lots of RAM on both Windows
and Linux.  Any clues would be appreciated.

|$Id: lasreader.cpp 813 2008-07-25 21:53:52Z mloskot $ |
---------
#include <liblas/lasreader.hpp>
#include <liblas/detail/reader.hpp>
// std
#include <stdexcept>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
#include <cstring> // std::memset
#include <cassert>

namespace liblas
{

LASReader::LASReader(std::istream& ifs) :
    m_pimpl(detail::ReaderFactory::Create(ifs))
{
    Init();
}