[Liblas-devel] Writing Scan Angle Rank values

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu May 1 22:16:34 EDT 2008

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Howard Butler wrote:
>  > The specification says the following for Scan Angle:
>  >
>  > Scan Angle Rank (-90 to +90) – Left side unsigned char 1 byte *
>
> Hobu,
>
> Where do you see "unsigned char"?
> I've rechecked LAS 1.0 and 1.1 and in both versions use "char" (signed
> char). The data member description confirms:
>
> "The scan angle rank is a signed one-byte value"
>
> So, I believe we are OK.

I've just noticed there is a bug possible in the LAS 1.1 specification.
The Scan Angle Rank for Point Data Format 0 is specified as "signed
char", but in Point Data FOrmat 1 it is specified as "unsigned char".

There is common description of the Scan Angle Rank for both versions of
the format, and it says as above: signed char.

So, I'd consider the specification of Point Data Format 1 as buggy.

Greetings
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net