[Liblas-devel] posix

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon May 5 18:31:24 EDT 2008

> "Martin (OPENGeoMap)" <martin at opengeomap.org>:
>
> Hi:
>
> I am studying liblas source code a little i have several doubs:
>
> - Why use ANSI C standard to manage chars and std::string in C+??

Martin,

I will ask "why not?" :-)
What's the problem with using ANSI C for the purposes we have in libLAS?

> - In MVSC this works because use UTF-16, but in POSIX systems use UTF8.

I don't understand. What's the problem here? Where MSVC uses UTF-16?
(regarding issues in libLAS, but not in general)

> - Qt people have QString and gnu/gnome people glib and glibmm
> (glib::ustring) to solve this problems and works in all operating
> systems and architectures.

What problems?
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what problems we are talking about,
other than just a general discussion about ANSI vc Unicode :-)

> In Mingw i can not have a file called "España_is_spain" because the
> 'ñ' letter =-O =-O =-O =-O

Ah, that's the problem. Yes, I agree this is an issue.
Not all international input is supported, it's also highly
dependant on actual locale you are using.
I have no problems with fopen() and polish characters on Polish
Windows, etc. Nobody forces you to build on Windows in Unicode mode.

Anyway, it is to be solved in future and I'm inclined to provide
overloaded interface based on std::wstring.

>> In my GTK app in c, c++, c# and ruby i use glib to manage strings. are
>> there other solution??. Perhaps compilation flags???

I'm quite sure we do not get glib, gtk and others into libLAS.
In near future, I'm going to investigate available options,
but it will likely be based on C/C++ locales.

Greetings
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net