[Liblas-devel] Support for Variable Length Records

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Sat May 17 12:13:54 EDT 2008

All,

Building on some work by Mateusz, I have added support for VLRs to
libLAS.  The most useful application of this support is the reading
and writing of georeferencing information for LAS files, but it also
allows us to carry forward VLRs as part of a LiDAR processing chain
that includes programs like las2las.  The VLRs are carried around as
part of the LASHeader, and you interact with them as if they are
another header data member.

Frank Warmerdam helped us out with parsing and reading the
georeferencing information, and there is now a LASHeader::GetProj4
method that you can use to return the spatial reference of a LAS file
that has VLRs describing the georeferencing information (actually,
we've found very few of these files even though the spec says that all
LAS files should have spatial referencing in the form of geotiff
keys).  To utilize GetProj4, you must link a cvs head version of
libgeotiff to libLAS with the --with-geotiff configure-time switch.

Because we also support linking with GDAL, I plan to implement a
GetWKT() (or similarly named) method to the LASHeader that will
support ESRI SRS WKT operations.

I think we should do a 0.9.7 release to provide the VLR and
georeferencing work for people to test.  We need some good testing of
this development with a wide variety of LAS files because the changes
were a bit disruptive.