[Liblas-devel] Indexing for point clouds

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 11:51:09 EDT 2009

Robert and Marios on the spatialindex list have also given me some
great suggestions, especially Marios' about using bulk loading, which
is relevant because LAS data are practically *never* updated.

http://lists.gispython.org/pipermail/spatialindex/2009-April/000058.html
http://lists.gispython.org/pipermail/spatialindex/2009-April/000059.html

On Apr 22, 2009, at 5:18 AM, Hamish wrote:

> also anything that introduces memory or processing time overheads must
> be built in a way that will scale to much larger datasets than we have
> today (but might in 5 years time, when hopefully this fine library is
> still in active use)

Yes, reordering isn't practical, but the biggest problem is that it
changes the original data.  My scenario is the data warehousing
scenario.  Imagine LAS files at 1m density covering the continental
US.  Data accounting is very important in that scenario, and while
libLAS isn't the database in that scenario, it can play a strong role
as an intermediary.  Intermediaries shouldn't change data.

On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:45 AM, Volker Wichmann wrote:

> I've no experience with either spatialindex nor GML LidarK, but
> maybe you can find some hints on
>
> http://research.graphicon.ru/3d-point-data-processing/gml-lidark-library-6.html
>
> There's some discussion on pro/cons of various indexing approaches.

An excellent lead, thanks.  Do you happen to know if it is compatible
with libLAS' license?

On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:49 AM, Etienne Bellemare wrote:

> Is speed improvement the only virtue of spatial indexing, or am I
> wrong ?

Spatial window querying speed is the strongest virtue, but there are a
few others.  LAS is essentially just an archive format right now, with
most softwares writing their own format to work with the data
internally.  libLAS' ability to do fast window queries with an index
would give developers another reason to stick with LAS rather than
rolling their own -- lessening the chance of dropping data and
increasing libLAS' uptake.

Another reason is mass parallelization.  Imagine a cluster of Amazon
EC2 instances processing the indexes of 1000s of LAS files and then an
operation that trolls through the indexes and merges them all together.