[Liblas-devel] libLAS in Java

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 10:15:45 EDT 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Patel, Ronak Avinash (US SSA) wrote:

> I don't mind submitting my work back to the community if the community
> can help build it and maintain it.

We could host it, but it would be the responsibility of those who want
and use a native java libLAS to build and maintain it.  People don't
maintain what they don't use very well.  Our .NET bindings are
languishing a bit because those who use it haven't been able to find
the time to pull them forward to the new libLAS 1.2 stuff, for example.

I understand the desire for native java LAS processing, but I still
don't understand what this desire would have to do with libLAS.  Do
you wish to copy the API and behavior or libLAS in native Java, or do
you really just want LAS read/write functionality?  Java-based LAS
read/write may already exist out there.  I do remember seeing at least
one example, but it was only LAS 1.0, and I don't remember if it was
open source.