[Liblas-devel] libLAS 1.2.0b2 released

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:23:36 EDT 2009

All,

I am pleased to announce the release of 1.2.0b2. Numerous improvements
have been made to libLAS in this release, including support for LAS
1.2. One significant API change was also made.

I would also like to announce major additions to our libLAS sample
library.  I would like to thank the group that provided the files for
the library, but I will let them reveal themselves on the list.
Thanks for the great files!  http://liblas.org/samples/

PS, at the Toronto sprint, I built the Radiohead data into LAS 1.2
files with time values for each movie frame.  This is also available
from the library.

API Change
------------------
- LASHeader::GetProj4 and LASHeader::SetProj4 in the C++ API and
   LASHeader_GetProj4 and LASHeader_SetProj4 in the C API have been
removed

   http://liblas.org/ticket/97

I'm willing to back out this removal if people thing it is too drastic
of a change, but I thought it would be better to get it gone now
before libLAS' usage increases significantly. If libLAS' usage is
already high ;), and this is a problem, please let me know and we can
add it back. These methods are no longer needed with the new LASSRS
interface.

Additions
-----------------

- LASSRS::SetGTIF http://liblas.org/ticket/102 allows you to set a
LASSRS with
your own GTIF pointer.

- #100 Need a way to free char*'s from the correct heap for C API http://liblas.org/ticket/101

- #93 Provide the ability to automatically reproject if GDAL is linked http://liblas.org/ticket/93

- #103 txt2las doesn't support setting RGB values http://liblas.org/ticket/103

Bug Fixes
-----------

- #104 LASPoint copy and assignment operators not copying LASColor http://liblas.org/ticket/104

- #66 ./configure --with-geotiff=yes does not set libgeotiff http://liblas.org/ticket/66
   Thanks Doug Morgan for the patch!

Other Items
-----------

- las2las and txt2las now default to writing 1.2 LAS files (can be
overridden with --format)

- Add missing LASSRS_Destroy C API method

- Fix GeoTIFF ASCII records operations http://liblas.org/changeset/1084/

- GTIFPrint will run when printing a LASHeader with the utilities if
libgeotiff was linked in

Note that no Python release is going to be done for the betas because
it will end up superseding the current release in PyPI. The Python API
has been updated to include LASColor and LASSRS support as well, but
it will not be released until libLAS 1.2 goes final. If you need to
test Python, you will have to utilize libLAS trunk or one of the beta
tags in subversion.

http://liblas.org/wiki/1.2.0b2

http://liblas.org/raw-attachment/wiki/1.2.0b2/liblas-1.2.0b2-src.tar.bz2
http://liblas.org/raw-attachment/wiki/1.2.0b2/liblas-1.2.0b2-src.tar.bz2.md5