[Liblas-devel] liblas complie error in VS 2008

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed May 5 09:24:15 EDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 4:23 AM, jeet_sen wrote:

> Hi,
> Downloaded liblas source from trunk.
> Wanted to build liblas in Visual Studio 2008.
> CMake Configure & Generate went fine.
> On Building, there are quite a few error and prominent one being :
> D:\temp\liblas-trunk\include\liblas/detail/writer/header.hpp(62) : error
> C2039: 'Header' : is not a member of 'liblas'
>
> Could not figure out this namespace error source.
> Any directions to build the library will be helpful.
>
> Regards,
> Suvajit

Suvaijit,

First, are you using cmake?  That's currently the only up-to-date build mechanism on windows at this time.  If you are using another mechanism, it's possible something is not current, especially with regard to the significant namespace refactoring that has gone on in trunk.

MSVC 2008 currently builds with a few warnings for me if I use cmake to generate nmake files or a 2008 project file.

- Install CMake 2.8.1+ for windows
- Run the CMake GUI application (from your 2008 shell to ensure that cl.exe and friends are on the path) and tell it the location of your source code and where you would like to build the binaries
- Click "Configure" and choose what type of build you would like (nmake files, 2008 project)
- If there are no errors, click "Generate"
- Issue 'nmake /f Makefile' if you used the nmake files or open up the project file in your liblas directory if you chose a project"
- build normally

Let me know if you have any trouble.  Don't worry about adding extra optional libraries until you get a basic build working