[Liblas-devel] Error reading two Terrascan .BIN file

jeet_sen suvajit at sce.co.in
Wed May 12 09:12:12 EDT 2010

HI,
  I am trying to compare two .BIN files in Windows (VS2008).
  Since I do not have the BIn file structure standard, I am following the
structure as defined in ts2las.hpp available in ts2las utility.
  As per the structure defined:
  Header   = 56 bytes
  ScanPnt = 24 bytes

Now to compare two files, I read the points simultaneously one after the
other like this:
(strmI and strmO are my two file streams containing same no of record
points)

std::cout << "Istream position is: " << strmI->tellg() << std::endl;
std::cout << "Ostream position is: " << strmO->tellg() << std::endl;
if (hdr->HdrVersion == 20020715) {
      // read point frm stream 1
      detail::read_n(*pointI, *strmI, sizeof(ScanPnt));
      // read point frm stream 2
      detail::read_n(*pointO, *strmO, sizeof(ScanPnt));

Strangely I find, that both start reading from pos 56, but stream1 reads
scanpoints by 28 bytes and stream2 reads scanpoints by 20 bytes.

However, if I switch off either of them, they read the points correctly.

Could not trace why read_n is behaving this way where I am reading from
different sources.

Any clues ?

Regards,
Suvajit