[Liblas-devel] Dealing with "bad" data

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Nov 4 17:50:50 EDT 2010

On 04/11/10 18:25, Mike Grant wrote:
> On 04/11/10 16:07, Howard Butler wrote:
>> This email asks what should be our default stance should be in the
>> face of bad data.  Some things, like an invalid point count, are
>> partially recoverable, but attempts to reconcile many other will
>> often result in proliferating bad data.  Should we be hard asses
>> and always throw an error?  Do our best to recover on a
>> case-by-case basis?
>
> I'd just throw an exception when a LAS file isn't standards
> compliant (+1 hard ass).

+1

> A separate tool can be written that catches these and tries to fix
> up files.  This keeps things clean and gives direct feedback on
> naughty LAS files.
>
> If you want to include additional code to handle bad data, it would
> be definitely be nice to be have a flag that enables or disables
> this behaviour (the strict/loose interpretation Mateusz suggests).

I think I misunderstood a bit the initial concept of separate tool.
I assume this tool would use the libLAS library with all the validation
and clean-up logic built-in.
Certainly, it would pollute the library implementation quite a lot.
So, I second the idea of separate tool with as much cleaning logic in it
as possible. As Howard mentioned, it would be based on custom
implementation of ReaderI interface.

Best regards,
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org