[Live-demo] MapTiler for FOSS4G 2009

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 13:37:37 EDT 2009

Klokan wrote:
> I am just afraid that we need to keep an eye on the space
> which is available on the LiveDVD, as there is not enough
> capacity for everything (unless the double-layer DVD is used).
>
> In case you would like to distribute the Mac binaries then
> it would be probably best to mirror this web:
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:unixport
>
> But the whole set (GDAL, MapServer, GRASS, QGIS, PostgreSQL)
> has over 200 MB even if you decide to support just the
> Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).

IMO 200mb is good value per megabyte. I wouldn't be concerned
with 10.4, it is the past. It would be no good to ship 200+200
for 10.5 and 10.6, but AFAIK William's 10.6 packages, if
existing yet, will still be experimental for a little while.

I expect by the time the conference rolls around most 10.5ers
will have upgraded Snow Leopard (it's just $30 after all) so
we are faced with shipping outdated and thus unusable 10.5
packages due to press deadlines. Bad timing Apple... :)

My vote would be to reserve up to 225mb for William to include
Mac installers as he sees fit. It's only 5% of the disk. I
assume the osgeo4w archive is a similar size?

# umm, maybe not:
$ du -sh /osgeo/download/osgeo4w/
1.1G    /osgeo/download/osgeo4w/

but that does not have old versions removed, so it could be
narrowed down.

Hamish