[Live-demo] MapTiler for FOSS4G 2009

klokan at gmail.com klokan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 07:36:58 EDT 2009

Hamish,

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I see no reason to discriminate against Macintoshes, it's a valid
> platform and I am sure there are many Mac users who would *love*
> to use geospatial software on their native platform but are forced
> to run Parallels so some such thing to run their proprietary apps
> in MSWin. Many native tools exist thanks to FOSS, we just have to
> get the word out.    ... Which is the whole point of this disc/VM.
> It's a very large market to be tapped IMO.

I am just afraid that we need to keep an eye on the space which is
available on the LiveDVD, as there is not enough capacity for
everything (unless the double-layer DVD is used).

In case you would like to distribute the Mac binaries then it would be
probably best to mirror this web:
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:unixport

But the whole set (GDAL, MapServer, GRASS, QGIS, PostgreSQL) has over
200 MB even if you decide to support just the Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).
With support for older version (Tiger) you need to add other extra
installers.
These packages are not yet tested on the Snow Leopard which was
published some days ago.

Mac installers are slightly fatter, as they usually contain three
compiled versions of every binary/library: PowerPC, Intel32, Intel64
(the "Universal binary").

Anyway, if you include the Kyngchaos binaries then the MapTiler is
just a tiny package (709 KB) with dependency on those.

Regards,

Klokan
--
http://blog.klokan.cz/