[Live-demo] Mac OSX installers

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 5 04:34:43 EDT 2009

[I have taken the liberty of fwd'ing William's replies --H]

(sorry for direct replies, I'm not on this list)

On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Klokan wrote:
>> I am just afraid that we need to keep an eye on the space
>> which is available on the LiveDVD, as there is not enough
>> capacity for everything (unless the double-layer DVD is used).
>>
>> In case you would like to distribute the Mac binaries then
>> it would be probably best to mirror this web:
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:unixport
>>
>> But the whole set (GDAL, MapServer, GRASS, QGIS, PostgreSQL)
>> has over 200 MB even if you decide to support just the
>> Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).
>
> IMO 200mb is good value per megabyte. I wouldn't be concerned
> with 10.4, it is the past. It would be no good to ship 200+200
> for 10.5 and 10.6, but AFAIK William's 10.6 packages, if
> existing yet, will still be experimental for a little while.
>
> I expect by the time the conference rolls around most 10.5ers
> will have upgraded Snow Leopard (it's just $30 after all) so
> we are faced with shipping outdated and thus unusable 10.5
> packages due to press deadlines. Bad timing Apple... :)
>
> My vote would be to reserve up to 225mb for William to include
> Mac installers as he sees fit. It's only 5% of the disk. I
> assume the osgeo4w archive is a similar size?

Snow Leopard sizes should be similar to Tiger sizes, so Tiger can be used as a guide...  Most of the Leopard builds run without problems on Snow, see the news on my site for problems (GRASS wxGUI doesn't work), so they could be used in a pinch.

I have the frameworks, Postgres and Qgis rebuilt and working in Snow.  So far it's been mostly straightforward, and I expect the rest to be done within a couple weeks.  I don't know what the schedule is for the LiveDVD (before FOSS4G, I'm guessing), but let me know which packages (if not all) you'd like to have on the disk and I can organize them in a logical, and hopefully relatively simple, setup (maybe I can figure out the all-frameworks installer).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan

On Sep 4, 2009, at 6:36 AM, klokan at gmail.com wrote:

> In case you would like to distribute the Mac binaries then it would be
> probably best to mirror this web:
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:unixport

A CD image or something has crossed my mind.

> But the whole set (GDAL, MapServer, GRASS, QGIS, PostgreSQL) has over
> 200 MB even if you decide to support just the Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).
> With support for older version (Tiger) you need to add other extra
> installers.

Remember that most of my installers include both Tiger and Leopard bits.  It's only GRASS and QGIS that have separate installers, but they account for ~100MB each system.

When I add Snow, it will be integrated into the installers.  I will keep supporting Tiger for a while, since we use Tiger where I work.  But maybe I'll split Tiger off into separate installers.

And, of course, there are others I don't use or distribute, like OSSIM, and non-compiled Python, PHP stuff.  I don't know what's on this LiveDVD, but it would be nice to mirror what's available on the live part.

> These packages are not yet tested on the Snow Leopard which was
> published some days ago.

Working on it.  See my site news for more.

> Mac installers are slightly fatter, as they usually contain three
> compiled versions of every binary/library: PowerPC, Intel32, Intel64
> (the "Universal binary").

Actually, 4-way: PPC has 32 and 64bit versions also.

Snow Leopard drops back to 2 architectures, 32+64bit Intel-only, so the sizes will be similar to Tiger.

Note: the different combinations of architectures is part of the reason I went the route of separate installers for each system version.  Another way (which I initially used) would have been to make one 4-way and strip 64bit when installing on Tiger, but this was messy and complicated on both the packaging and user ends.

-----