[Live-demo] Arramagong GISVM alpha 4 release

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 11 08:03:44 EDT 2009

Cameron wrote:
> Due to running out of disk space on the VM I'd created, I
> wasn't able to execute:
> install_mb-system.sh
> install_gpsdrive.sh
>
> Both these applications seem to be rather disk space
> intensive?

MB system is currently building with static libraries, which
makes the binaries huge (300mb). I don't recommend to install
it by default unless that can be resolved or there is lots of
space left.

I would argue strongly that GpsDrive should be installed. It
is a really neat app and the local roadmaps could be very
helpful to attendees. The Sydney roadmap tiles are 70mb, the
app itself is only a few mb. If it is dragging in a pile of
dependencies + OpenStreetMap tools, those might be able to
be switched off. But I think they are mostly like PostGIS and
Mapnik which we want to include anyway. It could, with some
amount of work, be possible to use pgRouting's PostGIS db
instead of the pre-rendered map tiles but a) I don't know how
to do that, and b) the pre-rendered tiles are perhaps more
robust. I'd love to see that working though. It probably sucks
in some python and -dev pacakges for the build which could be
removed once identified.  Any idea how much it disk space
including it adds?

regards,
Hamish