[Live-demo] The Arramagong Live DVD / GISVM alpha 5 ready for download

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Mon Sep 14 01:02:32 EDT 2009

The latest alpha5 LiveDVD is available for download. Please download and
check your applications run as you would expect, and adjust any scripts
as required.

With this latest build of the Live DVD, I've kept install logs, and also
checked disk size after each package install, so you can get an
indication about how much space each application uses. (Note that this
also includes the tmp/ download directory which is not deleted during
the download).
The latest image, and logs are available at:
http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/
<http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/ArramagongGISVM2009alpha4.7z.1>

Next:
====
By COB this Wednesday 16 Sept:
=======================
* Test your application, make sure it works. Adjust your scripts if
required. Report back to this email list that your application has been
tested and works (or doesn't).

* We need a text description of your project to put into the
documentation, as per: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GISVM_Build#Writing_docs

* Ensure that test steps for your project are defined at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Testing
It should contain enough information for an Ubuntu user who is
unfamiliar an application to try it out and confirm that everything has
been installed correctly.''

* Java projects, please provide guidance on what version of Java we
should ship - whether we should use Tomcat, Jetty, or something else. It
seems we have a number of projects installing their own JRE.

Thursday 17 Sept:
============
* Release 2.0 RC 1 of virtual machine. Ask foss4g delegates to try out
the DVD and report any errors they find. (This will be a major FOSS4G
press release).

* I hope to also have an ISO of the live DVD created from this image as
well.

* Developers, please ensure the metrics like version number and contact
person are up to date at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Packages

Final release:
=========
At the moment, deadline for final build  to meet our printing deadline
is Sunday 20 September, in 1 week. I hope to be able to get an extra
week for testing. I'm still negotiating on this, so please do get
everything working and tested this week.

Geospatial Systems Architect