[Live-demo] do not use 'apt-get --force-yes'

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 03:47:27 EDT 2009

Cameron wrote:
> I get the request for
> "--force-yes"  when trying to "apt-get install
> remastersys" into a GISVM. Ie one that has already run the
> main.sh script.
>
> Attached are the half completed logs from the
> run_remastersys.sh script.
> You may be able to make more of them than me.

I don't see any fatal error messages in there. (probably
because --force-yes was used! :)

I do see:

2009-09-22 14:33:39 URL:https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/sources.list.d/remastersys.list [79/79] ->
"/etc/apt/sources.list.d/remastersys.list" [1]
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  remastersys

that custom repository is probably causing the problem because
it is not signed with a known GPG key. you have to do like
install_qgis.sh and add it manually if you want to use a 3rd
party repo:

#Add signed key for repositorys LTS and non-LTS
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 68436DDF
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 314DF160
apt-get update

but AFAICT remastersys does not have any packages in the
official repos And does not GPG sign its own repo.
that's rather annoying, especially as this is like the classic
victim for a put-the-malware-in-the-compiler and make it undetectable scenario. Perhaps mostly paranoia, but good hygiene
never hurt & it violates the "never do the wrong thing knowingly"
principal.

oh well, --force-yes for remastersys it is I guess.

Hamish