[Live-demo] ISO go/no go

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Sep 29 15:45:30 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:21:50PM +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:
>> OpenLayers is there buried in the Geoserver install and possibly in the
>> mapserver install. We've identified down the line we should have it at
>> the root of apache for all to hit if they want.
>
> Err... no, quite the contrary. To have it usable in GeoServer demos
> it has to be provided by GeoServer itself, otherwise we break the
> "same origin" policy

No. The same origin policy applies to requests for resources via
XMLHttpRequest, not to loading scripts. The only relevant piece is
that the HTML pages are served from the same place that GetFeatureInfo,
etc. requests come from; no one is suggesting changing that.

However, no one is suggesting that GeoServer's demos should load a
generally available OpenLayers either; GeoServer can continue to use
its customized OpenLayers, while a 'general' OpenLayers (presumably
with a more complete set of classes) would be available at the apache
root for any application to use.

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt