[Live-demo] Converting docs to UTF encoding

Frank Gasdorf fgdrf at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Aug 5 14:52:35 PDT 2012

2012/8/5 Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>:
> Frank, good idea,
> The place to capture this information is on this wiki page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Translate

Cameron, I guess the sphinx syntax thing would be better preserved in
sphinx docs itself because here you can see what you get. IMHO its
better for everybody to see a result of the rst rendering/theming
process directly source and html side by side.

I agree to share best practices at the place you suggested ;)

Cheers,
Frank

> On 06/08/12 07:26, Frank Gasdorf wrote:
>>
>> Alex, thanks for sharing this hint!! In the past we had several issues
>> with other languages as well (es, el, etc). Properly we should think
>> about a sphinx page "Creating OSGeo-Live Docs with sphinx" with DO's
>> and DON'Ts for such cases.
>>
>> In this case I use notepad++ on windows or EncodingMaster on Mac OS X
>> to convert between encodings afterwards. I absolutely agree with you,
>> the Documentation Guilde should have your hint, independent from the
>> doc language your are working on to choose UTF-8 File-Encoding because
>> sphinx has set utf-8 to default source encoding
>> (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/rest.html#source-encoding)
>>
>> What do you think about a documentation_guide.rst file in doc folder
>> of svn source checkout, where we could just have templates in how to
>> define headers, how to deal with directives and references. A pretty
>> good example to start from is the geoserver sphinx guide
>> (http://docs.geoserver.org/trunk/en/docguide/sphinx.html).
>>
>> possible  guide structure:
>>
>> - general sphinx syntax
>> - how to create pages
>>      - quickstart_template
>>      - overview_template
>>      - (standard_template)
>>
>> - How to start with tranlations
>>   (e.g. How to start translating files (copy paste, encodings, etc)
>>
>> - References
>>    - sphinx documentations
>>
>> Opinions?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Frank
>>

>> 2012/8/5 Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>:
>>>
>>> So one issue we ran into translating Asian languages, when you do an svn
>>> copy (or a cp) of the English and then start to change the text the file
>>> is still encoding as Latin. Which appears fine to the end user but ends
>>> up with ????? in the sphinx builds.
>>>
>>> The workaround we found is to open a blank file, choose utf8 without BOM
>>> as the encoding, copy and paste the text from the original and then save
>>> over the original. Note- Using Notepad++ on Windows for this.
>>>
>>> There must be a better way.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex