[Live-demo] presentation update

Barry Rowlingson barry.rowlingson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 05:04:51 PDT 2012

On 26 August 2012 11:59, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

> To date, I've requested that notes are not included in the OpenOffice files.
> Reason is that .odp files seem to be stored in a binary format, and minor
> tweaks in text are difficult to track in subversion, which makes it
> particularly difficult for translators wanting to know what needs updating
> between versions.
>
> Hence all words are stored in the text file:
> osgeolive_taster_script.txt

> Sounds useful. Any suggestions on how we can get the above, but still track
> changes easily in subversion?

 OpenOffice files are just zip files, and the presentation notes are
stored in the content.xml file that is in the zip. I just bashed up a
few lines of python that prints the slide title and the notes to
stdout. It uses the python zipfile module so it doesn't even have to
unzip the source.

 Not sure how you might want to put this in the workflow, since its
much easier to go that way than to put text back into an OO document
(can be done, its just XML zipped up).

 I think I would consider the OO document as master, create the text
notes from it with a 'auto generated, do not edit' message, and derive
translations from that which would stay as text files up until someone
writes the code to insert the translations into the OO document (which
might be futile given that most of the other text and screenshots in
the document are in English)...

Barry