[Live-demo] Re: can we update adhoc doc generation every hour?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 05:49:29 EST 2012

Paul wrote:
> The installer is 51.6 MB (sorry ;))

close enough.. :-)

I wanted to ask Massimo if the OSSIM sample satellite data could be
swapped out for the North Carolina landsat geotiffs we also ship, which
would free up ~50mb.

Also I continue to toy with the idea of dropping grass's sample NC sample
dataset. A partial copy is already on the disc as shapefiles, geotiffs,
and kmz, but it would break all the help pages and tutorials used by
the workshops. compromises compromises..

> I can make it a bit smaller by removing some sample data.

Can you make use of the included Natural Earth shapefiles and the Wake
County NC educational dataset layers? (I guess a USB thumb drive is the
way to get them copied off the disc)

> Because it is a Windows-only installer, people that want to try it out
> are already a bit different (from the OSGeo-Linux point of view),
> making them download the installer wouldn't harm them.

shrug, from my point of view most of the OSGeo projects are cross-
platform & so somewhat OS-agnostic. or at least that's a goal.
on the other hand, one of the very useful things about this live dvd
project is that a number of the programs are not simple to set up, so
having it done for you lets a lot more people try them.

> That would solve the issue with the disk space

the problem with the disk space is on the live-linux side of things.
the ms-windows and macintosh installers are stored in a reserve area
on the printed DVD which is used for persistent workspace on the USB
stick (target ~500mb). so the mac/windows installer space is pretty
flexible and is usually only decided at the last moment when we see how
much space is left.

Hamish