[Live-demo] Exploring Installation options for JAI and ImageIO with JDK

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue May 29 00:37:29 PDT 2012

> All right. I just tested it on the 5.5 Release and it fails, because of missing
> javax.media.jai.JAI
> class. The rendering sub-system requires the Java advanced imaging and
> I guess there is no port for openjdk jet.

JAI is available as a "pure java jar" or as a "mixed jar and native" configuration.

There are two deployment options:
- the "mixed jar and native" options is easiest to manage when installed into the JRE/lib/ext and JRE/bin folders
- the "pure java jar" can be included with the application as a normal jar (or placed into JRE/lib/ext as above). This solution does not perform as well as the one with native support.

So a port is not needed; the "pure java jar solution can be installed into JRE/lib/ext if you want to see if you can get further with openjdk.
> Because this exception is thrown from a geotools renderer class all
> installations that requires geotools would fail. Could anybody confirm
> my point of view?

I think only uDig is expecting JAI to be installed into the JRE. GeoServer supports that configuration as one of the "advanced performance tuning tricks"; preferring to include the "pure java jar" in the geoserver distribution.
I am not aware of what the other applications require; we will need to check on a case by case basis.

The jars we are looking for are:

- mlibwrapper_jai.jar
- vecmath.jar
- jai_codec.jar
- jai_core.jar

For more information:
- http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/advanced/build/install/jdk.html

Several installation options are provided on that page; perhaps one will work with openjdk?

Jody