[Live-demo] create pdf documentation

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:33:46 PDT 2012

2012/9/23 Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>:
> On 19/09/12 22:44, Luca Delucchi wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I tried to compile pdf file of OSGeo-Live documentation but I obtain
>> an error because gif images are not recognized, there are some
>> different resolution but I'd like to convert gif images in png format.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> I'd like to insert latexpdf command for "make", can I do this?
>>
> Hi Luca,
> Sorry for the delayed response, this email seemed to have been lost in my
> inbox.

no problem

> I'm fine with converting all gif images to png. Please go ahead and do so if
> you wish. Note that you will need to update all references to the image,
> including translations.

yes, I know. I just upload the new png images (without removing the old gif).
Later or tomorrow I'll upload also the files with the new references
(including translations)

> And you are also welcome to create a latexpdf command to "make" (assuming
> that you don't effect "make html". I think this will be a valuable
> contribution to OSGeo-Live. Thank you for the offer to do so.

I already try something but I have to work on it.
Right now the simple way (that I see) to create a good html and pdf
(pdf only for one language) documentation is:
- rename index.rst to index.template and copy index.template to
index.rst during compilation (I already try it and it works well)
- create a index_pdf.template, copy it to index.rst and substitute a
variable to set the language required for PDF file during compilation
(I'm trying this but sed doesn't work)

what do you think about this solution?

> I'll be interested to see how the PDF documentation comes out. When I tried
> it a few years back the page layout was not very good, with quite a bit of
> white space on each page. It will be interesting to see how it goes now.

me too, I hope to have a PDF version soon

--
ciao
Luca

http://gis.cri.fmach.it/delucchi/